General information about the reproduction of banknotes:
Reproduction of a Bulgarian banknote means the making of any tangible or intangible image which uses all or part of a Bulgarian banknote according to the characteristics as specified in the official publications and on the website of the Bulgarian National Bank. Such an image may resemble or give the general impression of a Bulgarian banknote, irrespective of:
- the size of the image;
- the materials or techniques used to produce the reproduction;
- whether elements or illustrations have been added to the image which do not originate from banknotes;
- whether the design of the banknote, in terms of letters, digits or symbols, for example, has been altered.
The requirements for reproduction apply to all issues of Bulgarian banknotes.
The Bulgarian National Bank affirms that the currency is an important symbol of value in Bulgaria and that people may wish to reproduce images of the banknotes for various purposes. The Bank gives its consent for such reproduction only if:
- there is no risk that the final product of reproduction could be mistaken for a real banknote and be misused by counterfeiters;
- the purpose of the reproduction will not have a negative impact on the dignity and importance of the banknote in the eyes of the general public.
To eliminate the risk of potential civil and criminal violations, the written permission of the Bulgarian National Bank should be sought and granted before the reproduction of any image.
The Bulgarian National Bank provides its consent only in writing.
Obtaining permission from the Bulgarian National Bank for the reproduction of images of banknotes
Anyone who wishes to reproduce a Bulgarian banknote should file an application with the Bulgarian National Bank. A single copy of the application should be made using a sample form, Appendix No 1 of Ordinance No 18 on the Control over Quality of Banknotes and Coins in Cash Circulation.
The written permission of the Bulgarian National Bank for the reproduction of a Bulgarian banknote entitles the person to whom permission is given to reproduce such a banknote, and to use the copy only for the purpose stated in the application.
No application for the reproduction of a Bulgarian banknote is required where the Bulgarian National Bank:
- has organised a press conference or other public events where Bulgarian banknotes are presented or shown;
- has commissioned or granted consent for a report or other material designated for third parties which features Bulgarian banknotes, or
- prepares media publications, reports or other journalistic materials designated for third parties which feature Bulgarian banknotes.
In such cases the requirements for the reproduction of Bulgarian banknotes cited in Ordinance No 18 should be observed.