Banco Central de Chile
PO Box 967
Tel.: +56 2 670 2398
Fax: +56 2 670 2232
The Central Bank of Chile is the only entity legally authorized to issue banknotes and coins.
Pursuant to Section 64 of the Constitutional Organic Act of the Central Bank of Chile, anyone who manufactures or puts into circulation objects that resemble genuine banknotes to such an extent that they are readily accepted as legal tender shall be penalized with between 541 days and 5 years of imprisonment. Furthermore, the Criminal Code contains a number of other crimes linked to the counterfeiting of banknotes and coins, and the production of equipment aimed at manufacturing counterfeits.
Other criminal provisions also regulate the reproduction of banknotes and coins, particularly regarding the prohibition against reproducing images of legal tender banknotes for advertising, publicity or commercial distribution purposes, under Decree Law No. 726, dated 1925, and Law No. 17.336 on Intellectual Property regarding the unauthorized use of alien domain works protected by copyright for the purposes of publication, adaptation or distribution to the public.
Within this latter policy context, the Central Bank of Chile, as owner of the intellectual property rights in respect of the banknotes and coins which are legal tender, under Board Resolution No. 1583-01-101213, published in the Official Gazette on January 5th, 2011, authorized the partial reproduction of the banknotes and coins i) for educational purposes only, linked to educational programs established by the Ministry of Education; or ii) strictly related to the achievement of objectives of cultural diffusion or information on the characteristics of the Chilean legal tender, including the fulfillment of institutional purposes, specific to State organisms and, where applicable, public charities.
For uses authorized by the Central Bank, the negatives, plates, digital files or storage devices that contain images or illustrations of the design of the legal tender must be destroyed, deleted or disabled once they have been used for the purposes authorized by Board Resolution No. 1583-01.
Finally, interested parties must notify the Central Bank of Chile, in advance, for information purposes, of the objective and purpose of the reproductions made and their characteristics, using the form available on the Bank’s website.
For uses authorized by the Central Bank, the following conditions must be met for the reproduction of legal tender in printed media:
- Reproductions of banknotes must be larger than or equal to 150% of the size of the original banknote, or alternatively smaller than or equal to 75% of the size of the original. Coins can be reproduced in their original dimensions.
- The material used to reproduce the images must be visibly different from the original.
- In the case of reproductions for educational urposes in relation to curricula established by the Ministry of Education, the following reference must be included: “The use of images of the designs of legal tender is permitted, in relation to copyright, subject to the terms and conditions established by the Central Bank of Chile in Board Agreement No. 1583-01-101230, published in the Official Gazette dated January 5th, 2011.”
- The logo of the Central Bank of Chile must be excluded from reproductions.
- The front and back of a banknote or coin can only be simultaneously reproduced if the colours of the original design are visibly altered, or the reproduction is printed in black and white.
- Simultaneous reproduction of the front and back of a banknote or coin can only be authorized by the Central Bank of Chile for the purposes specified in Board Resolution No. 1583-01, depending on the characteristics of the work in which they will be used. In such cases, the word “SPECIMEN” must be included, and the other size requirements must be met.
- Reproductions must be based on images provided by the Central Bank of Chile on its website.
- Reproductions must be made in low resolution that does not exceed 72 dpi.
For uses authorized by the Central Bank, the following conditions must be met for the reproduction of legal tender in electronic, digital or audiovisual media:
- Reproductions must be based on low resolution images which do not exceed 72 dpi and which are provided by the Central Bank of Chile on its website.
- The word “SPECIMEN” must be included diagonally across the image, with a length of at least 75% of the length of the banknote and a height of at least 15% of the height of the banknote.
- The word “SPECIMEN” must be printed in a colour that allows an obvious contrast with respect to the predominant colour of the banknote.