Currency Issue Department, Bank of Korea
110, 3-Ga, Namdaemunno
Phone: +82 2 759 4603
Fax: +82 2 759 4600
Reproductions shall not be used for commercial advertising that may encourage obscenity, violence, extravagance or gambling, or in the advertising of photocopiers and scanners that might be used to counterfeit banknotes.
Reproductions are prohibited that might undermine the integrity of the national currency as a result of modifications or the addition of advertising to the reproductions, or the distortion or mutilation thereof.
Country-specific details about the reproduction of banknotes and imitations:
- Imitations are permitted only for purposes of education, research, news reporting or judicial trial.
- The size of imitations must be either at least 200% or at most 50% of the respective banknote while maintaining that banknote's length-to-width ratio.
- Imitations shall be manufactured of a material clearly different and distinguishable from the material used for banknotes.
Below are the guidelines for the reproduction of banknotes in printed media:
- Reproductions must be less than 75% or more than 150% of the size of the original banknote and must maintain the banknote's length-to-width ratio.
- The reproduction must show only one side of the banknote.
- All negatives, plates, positives, digitised storage media, graphic files, magnetic media, optical storage devices and any other devices used in the making of the illustration that contain an image of the illustration or any part thereof must be destroyed and/or deleted or erased after their final use.
The image resolution shall not exceed 72 dpi. The word “SPECIMEN” shall be marked on either the obverse or the reverse of any part, excluding the portrait.
Refer to Section 3(c) of the Guidelines for the Reproduction of Bank of Korea Notes and Coins.